This week Dave and Steel bring back their old friend Amy (Scott) Anderson. Together the trio discuss epic meltdowns, some amazing things that have they’ve been dying to share with each other during Dave’s paternity leave, talk (for a long time) about babies and parenting, share great music they’ve been digging recently by AURORA, the Strumbellas, Pinegrove, AdriAnne Lenker & Buck Meek, and Whitney, and Amy drops some impressive book wisdom from Paul Kalanithi’s touching memoir When Breath Becomes Air.
OTC Quick Hits
- Simone Giertz has built the queen of shitty robots [Steel]
- Drones snatching other drones out of the air [Amy]
- Smoked meats & epic fantasy novels are great [Dave]
- Amy for Dave: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Amy for Steel: When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- Dave for Amy: Sebastian and the Balloon by Phillip Stead, Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett, and Harry and the Lady Next Door by Gene Zion
- Steel for Amy: H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
Unchained Melodies: Songs We’re Into Right Now Edition
Amy read a moving passage from Paul Kalanithi’s memoir When Breath Becomes Air, in which a dying father gives his final message to his infant daughter.
Featured image: Things not going so well for golfer Jordan Spieth, whose Masters collapse inspired our epic meltdown opening segment on this episode.