In this episode of Off the Chain, we introduce a new segment called Small Talk, in which we offer you some advice for improving your conversation skills and give you some rich content for your next informal chat with friends (Is it safe to read on the toilet? Coke vs. Pepsi? What does Ayn Rand think of recent children’s movies?), play another version of our Lost the Plot game, in which Dave asks Steel to describe the plot of a bad action movie he’s never seen (this week it’s Lockout!), answer listener questions in another installment of Ask Off the Chain, share some of our favorite recent songs, and drop some book wisdom from French adventurer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
- “Reading on the Loo” article in The Guardian
- Why blind taste tests might be misleading & the Coke vs. Pepsi wars by Matthew Yglesias in Slate
- Guide to open heart surgery from Healthline.
- Ayn Rand reviews children’s movies by Mallory Ortberg in The New Yorker.
Lost the Plot
Benjamin Booker: Violent Shiver
Pavement: Gold Soundz
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks: No One Is (As I Are Be)
Foxygen: No Destruction
- Taken from Chapter 21 of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s story Le Petit Prince [The Little Prince]