We know that we missed a week (Dave was moving his lucrative nursing practice to a new city), but we’re back, and this episode is more than worth the wait. Our friend Josh joins us to discuss hair care and grooming tips for men, several flavors of apocalypse (he and Dave are experts on the topic!), we play end of the world themed music from Wyclef Jean, Nena, Barry McGuire, Tom Waits, Tool, and Echo & the Bunnymen, and Dave shares some dystopian book wisdom from Dave Eggers’ most recent novel The Circle.
Hair Care & Grooming Tips for Men
- Dave recommends Garniet Fructis’ now-discontinued Surf Hair product.
- Steel once bought some Malin+Goetz hair pomade. The one time he used it was pretty nice.
- Josh is a big fan of Brut spray-on deodorant, especially when applied in poorly-ventilated locker rooms. Do everyone a favor and use a ton of this stuff.
Some recommendations, sorted by type of apocalypse:
- Waterworld, obviously.
- The Mad Max franchise
- The Age of Miracles, a novel about time slowing.
- Deep Impact & Armageddon
- Los Últimos Días (The Last Days), about Agoraphobia that kills you
- Y: The Last Man
- Children of Men
- 12 Monkeys
- Pontypool. Rage as a disease transmitted through the spoken word.
- The Signal. Technology spreads rage!
- The Zombie in Film (FULL ESSAY: Parts I, II, and III)
- World War Z
- Warm Bodies
- Shaun of the Dead
- Zone One
- 28 Days Later
- 28 Weeks Later
- Night of the Living Dead Franchise
- Walking Dead
- iZombie (not apocalypse, just living as a creature among humans.)
- I Am Legend
- Stake Land
- The Strain
- The Passage
- Hunger Games
- The Postman
- The Road
- The Terminator Franchise
- Fallout Video Games
Religion/Act of “God”
- Left Behind
- This is the End
Zombie Preparedness Resources
Unchained Melodies: Apocalypse NOW! edition
This week’s edition of Book Wisdom comes from Dave Eggers’ satire of the new media and tech industries, The Circle.
Photo by Abode of Chaos