This year we’re trying something new (and awesome). We asked six of our friends to join us for a recap of the year that was, with each of them covering a subject that they’re an expert in. We’ll be bringing you our 2016 in review in two episodes (this week and next), but this week we were lucky to be joined by Rosie (the social issues that defined 2016: populism, political rhetoric, violence, and environmentalism); Jordan (the year in music, featuring songs from Mick Jenkins + BadBadNotGood, Camp Cope, Mitski, Big Thief, Pinegrove, and Snarky Puppy); and Rose (the year in books & reading).
Michelle Obama’s speech at the 2016 DNC
Theresa May setting out a vision of Conservative leadership as socially responsible and humane (gasp!)
Unchained Melodies: Favorite Songs and Albums of 2016
- Rebecca Solnit’s Men Explain Things to Me and Hope in the Dark and A Paradise Built in Hell. Anything Solnit writes, really. [Steel]
- R.J. Palacio’s Wonder and Brandon Sanderson‘s fantasy novels! [Dave]
- Maggie Steifvater, especially The Scorpio Races or The Raven Cycle [Rose]
Our Top Children’s Books of the Year
- It’s Only Stanley, Jon Agee and Those Darn Squirrels!, Adam Rubin & Daniel Salmieri [Dave]
- Journey, Quest, and Return, Aaron Becker [Steel]
- Mr. President Goes to School, Rick Walton [Rose]
Steel’s Poetry Tips
Finally, Rose has been writing a young adult fantasy book, Lesser Demons. Check it out on her site and share your feedback!
Featured image: Basil Bunting, from the cover of The Poems of Basil Bunting.