This week Dave and Steel are joined once again by Dave’s nursing compatriot Katie. Together the trio discuss the latest in summer fashions (including the longstanding battle for GOAT between seersucker and white linen), Off the Chain friendships, share great timeless music from Nate Dogg and Warren G, Tag Team, Wreckx-N-Effect, Coolio, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Vanilla Ice, Partners in Kryme, and Wee Papa Girl Rappers, and dave drops some amicable hilarity from Patrick O’Brien’s Master and Commander series.
Summer Fashion Musts
Here’s Steel’s & Dave’s guide to this summer’s must-have’s
- Seersucker [classic]
- White Linen Suits [will literally never go out of style. God himself wears these.]
- Polo shirts with animals embroidered on them (like Izod, Lacoste, etc.)
- Any male short with at least 4 inches of skin above the knee
- DIY/Home-made jorts and tank tops
- Overalls. Just great for people of all ages. But not sexy overalls. Just regular ones.
- Athletic shorts +black crew socks + slip-on men’s sandals
- Mom jeans. High waisted, of course. Bonus points for pleats or acid/stone wash.
- Puff paint t-shirts, XXL or bigger.
- Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin. Who are these guys? Only the greatest friends in all of literature, that’s all.
- Han Solo and Chewbacca. Renegade and wookie who owes a life debt. What more could you ask for.
- Seinfeld and Costanza. The very model of neurotic, outraged, nebbish friendship.
- Elliot and ET. Interspecies comraderie at its finest.
- Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat. Not all friendships are healthy. Remember that.
Steel also wants to recommend Charlotte Delbo’s amazing Holocaust memoir, Auschwitz and After.
Nate Dogg & Warren G — Regulate
Tag Team — Whoomp, There it Is
Wreckx-N-Effect — Rump Shaker
Coolio featuring L.V.– Gangsta’s Paradise
Sir Mix-A-Lot — Baby Got Back
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony — Tha Crossroads
Vanilla Ice — Ninja Rap
Partners in Kryme — Turtle Power
Wee Papa Girl Rappers — Wee Rule
This week Dave (and Steel) read two passages demonstrating the literary friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin in Patrick O’Brien’s Master and Commander series.